Write about your first name: Are you named after someone or something? Are there any stories or associations attached to it? If you had the choice, would you rename yourself?
Nasri. My full name is Nasri Nasir, ‘Nasir’ being my dad’s name. That’s how they normally do it. My name goes first, then my father’s name.
I’ve a few stories behind my name. Mum told me that they named me after a guy called Nazri Nasir, a retired football player in Singapore whom i believe was popular among the Soccer community, in Singapore. I knew very little of him except that he was quite the legend, winning a few tournaments in Asia.
I think back then, my parents might have look up to him, and since the name was so popular, my dad ‘Nasir’ decides to give me that name, except changing the Z with and S, but why? I have no idea. Maybe it might sound nicer, or unique, or could have been because they wanted me to be a soccer player, a legend.
My dad used to be a goalkeeper back during his younger days, that’s what he said, or at least that’s what I know so far, maybe that’s why he named me that way. It could also be because my name and his name, is just switching the letter ” I and R “.
I think i have to say, not all kids are given a chance to be wanted by their parents to play soccer, but my parents used to send me over for soccer school training, when i was at 9 or so, but being the so ‘lost in my own world’ type of person, i found talking to the birds near the soccer field during training much more interesting then playing soccer itself, eventually having me lost interest in the game and not attending the classes, and so i guess they’ve agreed then that I’m not a ‘soccer’ person. (Sorry Mum and Dad! )
In Arabic, Nasri would mean ‘of Victory’ , that’s what I managed to found out. If that was what they thought of when trying to find me a name, then that would be a really amazing name. Of Victory!
Victory it shall be, by the power invested in me, the name of Nasri’ you shall be victorious!
Also, when meeting newly met strangers who ask me what’s my name, I would answer “Nasri” and responses i might get would be like, “you mean like the famous soccer, Samir Nasri?”
I would gladly then say “yeah like that Samir Nasri”
and even though I’m not much of a soccer person, I do occasionally support the guy who m I’ve the same name with, whom used to be with Arsenal back then, though now he’s with Manchester City. Still support Arsenal though when there’s a show going on.
So, in theory, does having a name ‘Nasri’ links to soccer?
I’ve decided to take a step further to find out, if other ‘Nasri’s out there’ are soccer players, and
and photographer with the name Nasri
and a lebanese classical singer with the name of Nasri . See I’m not alone!
Here’s more related posts, for you to see!
- They call me The Nameless One | The Nameless One
- Daily prompt name | myguiltypleasures
- Bob Dylan or just Dylan? | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- daily prompt name, thea maria viveka | myguiltypleasures
- “Nanuschka” is not my real name | Nanuschka’s Blog
- !My name is Nadine | بيسان
- A Handsome Name | The Jittery Goat
- What’s in a name? | Right Down My Alley
- 706: Daily Prompt: Say your Name : “What’s in a Name?” | SEVEN Hundred 50
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | An Unlikely Gypsy…
- Daily Prompt: Say My Name, Say My Name | The Road to Published
- A man without a last name | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- My name is… | Sue’s Trifles
- My 1st Actually Response To The Daily Prompt | The Girl Who Can’t Write Good Names
- What’s In A Name? My name. | Things To Rave About
- Say my name, but in secret… (Daily Prompt) | The Rider
- What’s In A Name? | Tony’s Texts
- My Name is Nabila, Please Don’t Use It as Your Daughter’s Name | das Nicht-zuhause-sein
- More to the name… | Hope* the happy hugger
- Whits in a name? | Sanjuro Tokage’s Blog
- Het Zelf | Jeroen Mank
- Creatively Deprived Part Two | Self-Help for Creatively Deprived
- A girl with four names | Completely Disappear
- Matthew | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- What’s In a Name? | I Am An After School Special
- Identity crisis?! | Daily Prompt: Say your name | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me
- Hi, I’m Amber. No, I’m Not a Stripper | Quill Takes Flight
- Daily Prompt: Say My Name | A Healthy Big Gurl
- Daily Prompt – Say your name | The numpty with a camera and a laptop
- Daily Prompt: All About A Name | My Daily Prompt Blog
Pingback: My Name Is . . . | A Short A Day
Pingback: Daily Prompt – Say Your Name | Joe's Musings
Pingback: A Handsome Name | The Jittery Goat
Pingback: Identity crisis?! | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me